astore

Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy Silhouetting!

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at http://www.simplylivingjen.com for new updates ***

After an absolutely exhausting first day back at work (a week of being lazy during vacation will do that to you!) I wanted a small and simple project to work on.  For a while I've been wanting to try making my own silhouettes.  Who better to use as models than B and I?  Step One: scrounge around on the computer for pictures that work.  I found this adorably pensive one of B :


And after wayyy too much searching this semi-decent one of myself:


Really now, it would have just been easier to take another picture and upload it onto the computer, if you try this project, I recommend that route.   Anywho, Step Two: crop the photos so that they are only of the part you will silhouette, aka, the face.  Step Three:  print the picture, I chose to print 7x9, depending on what size frame you will be using, adjust your size.  I certainly got my exercise in today.  While scrounging around on the computer, cropping photos, and adjusting the size, I was up on the third floor.  Meanwhile, the trusty printer is down on floor one.  I think I ran up and down the two flights of stairs probably a good dozen or so times before finding just the right picture.  There's a little cardio I didn't count on...

Ok.  Step Four:  cut out the picture.  This will be your basic template.  I intentionally chose to leave out some of the details, for instance the spikes in B's hair, eyelashes, etc., but feel free to make it as detailed as you like.   Step Five:  find some dark paper.  I happened to have black construction paper lying around the house and chose to use that, but will probably end up re-tracing and cutting out the silhouettes onto more solid paper before framing.  I taped down the image, traced, and re-cut so that my final product was a black silhouette.  See for yourself:

I might work on B's a little more...I'm not convinced it looks enough like him
**EDIT**  Here is the new and improved profile I found:
 By editing out the glasses I ended up with a result I'm much happier with!  Looks more like the man himself :)
Sorry about the really really poor photo quality...but you get the idea!
 The next step would be to frame and hang.  I will most likely take the extra time to cut out my silhouettes on black card stock paper, so that they are a little more sturdy, before attaching to a photo mat.  And I have yet to find the perfect frame.  But I do have visions of them hanging in our (hopefully!) not so distant new living room.  B and I will be looking for a place of our own in the coming months...look for more on that, and the final product sometime soon!

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the end results, but my simple project turned into more of an undertaking that I had planned on!


New Years Resolution:  Less stress, less clutter, less complication.  Today's progress:  zero.  big FAIL.  Running endlessly up and down the stairs?  Way more complicated.  Simple project taking way too long, semi-stressful.  And last but not least, if anything I made a bigger mess working on my project...but I took the extra few minutes to clean up the mess rather than leave it for tomorrow...that's some kind of progress, right?
All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search