astore

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Yet another Wreath!

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at http://www.simplylivingjen.com for new updates ***

I decided to keep my Valentine's related creative juices flowing today.  As I'm sure many of you know, I gain a lot of my inspiration from reading other people's blogs and seeing what kinds of projects are out there.  One trend that I have been seeing lately are yarn wreaths and felt flowers.  We all know what a sucker I am for wreaths, and after making some festive yarn balls yesterday, I knew I just had to give this one a whirl.  Take a look at what I came up with:
There are very few materials involved: wreath form, yarn, glue stick, felt, ribbon.  That's it!  I was lucky and only had to purchase a wreath form, so once again my project cost less than a few dollars.  I love when that happens!
Wreath form, glue gun, glue sticks, yarn, and felt
Making the Wreath
Step 1: Tie the end of your yarn onto the styrofoam wreath.  I chose to start at the seam, but anywhere would be fine.
Tie on your yarn
Step 2:  Begin to wrap your yarn around the wreath.  This was an extremely time consuming process, because with each wrap you need to pass the ball of yarn through the middle.  For the first layer I chose to make mine pretty even and organized.
Keep wrapping...having Pandora running in the background doesn't hurt either!
Step 3:  Continue wrapping the yarn all the way around the wreath.  This process will take a while, but is so rewarding in the end!  Here I am at the end of the first layer.
One layer of yarn
Step 4:  By the time you have successfully made it around your entire wreath form you can decide whether or not to do a second layer.  Because there were some gaps where I could still see green I decided that a second layer of yarn was pretty important.  For this layer I did however decide to go for a "messier" look, and did not try to keep all of my rows straight.
Second "messier" layer of yarn
Step 5: Once you have completed all of the wrapping that you want, tie off the yarn the same way you started.  I then took the extra minute to weave in the end so that it wasn't sticking out, but since this will most likely be the back of your wreath it isn't necessary.


Making the Flowers
Step 1Cut a circle out of your felt.  The bigger the circle, the bigger the flower.  I chose to make a straight circle, if you want your flower to have a more petal effect, then make the edges wavy.
The bigger the circle, the bigger the flower
Step 2:  Cut into your circle.  I cut in about half an inch and was pretty happy with how the flower turned out.
Begin to cut into your circle
Step 3:  Continue to cut in a spiral motion.  Do this until you reach the center of the circle.
Continue cutting in a spiral motion

Your end result should be one long strip
Step 4:  At this point start at an end, and begin to wrap the felt in a circle.  In order to keep the bottom flat, I found it helpful to have it on the table and rotate the felt.
Start at the end and begin to roll your felt into a circle, try to keep the bottom flat.
Step 5:  Continue to roll until you reach the end of your strip.
End of the strip...I used the pink bowl as a background color since my flower was blending in to the table top
Step 6:  Flip the flower over, add a small dot of hot glue, and attach the loose end.

Step 7:  Cut out a circle of felt, just a little bit smaller than the bottom of the flower.
After attaching the loose end, cut out a circle just smaller than the bottom of the flower
Step 8: Using the hot glue gun, attach the circle to the bottom of the flower.  This will help to keep each layer in place and your flower in a firm shape.
Attach the circle to the bottom of the flower.
Step 9:  Continue this process with as many colors and sizes as you like!

Attaching the Flowers
For my wreath, I decided that I would primarily stick to Valentine themed colors (pink and white) but at the last minute I decided to throw a blue flower in there for a little extra oomph.
The 4 flowers I picked out for my wreath
Step 1:  I arranged the flowers on my wreath so I had an idea of placement.  Then I attached the first flower with hot glue.  I held down for about 12 seconds, so that I knew the glue was not going to slide around anywhere.
After attaching the first flower
Step 2:  Attach the second flower in the same manner.
After attaching flower #2
Step 3:  Repeat step 1 and 2 for as many flowers as you decide you would like to attach
3 flowers later...

Complete
Step 4:  Once I had all of my flowers attached I took some green felt and cut out a couple small leaves.  I attached these with the glue gun as well.
I chose to add a couple green leaves
Step 5:  The last step is to decide how you would like to hang your wreath.  I decided to attach a small piece of ribbon and hang it from a hook.  I cut a small piece of ribbon and attached it to the back of the wreath with a couple thumb tacks.  Because the back of my wreath will be facing the wall, the tacks aren't even visible, but you can always use glue.

Here is a final far away and up close look at my pretty little wreath:


I love how it looks up against the lime green walls of Sister #2's bedroom.  I now have yet another wreath to add to my ever growing wreath repertoire...oh boy!

**Please click on my Linky Party tab at the top of my blog, or click here, to see some of the parties I participate in. Also check out all the other fabulous projects going on!**
All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search