My adventures, and misadventures, as I stumble around finding my place in the world.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Organized Work Space

Speaking of school (check out my post here), I decided it was high time to get an organized space going.  Since moving back in the with the folks last spring, my space is somewhat limited.  But with Sister #2 off at college, I decided to commandeer her desk area, and give it a little inexpensive face lift.

Here's what I started with:


Gotta love the outdated calendar and the Gandhi Poster!


A little messy, since it is full of things she didn't need at school with her.  I did a little shopping at my go-to spot, Ikea!  I picked up a plain white magnetic board, some fabric - I needed less than a yard, but have plans for the left over fabric! (I loved the blue and white pattern with the small hints of orange - this was my color scheme), magnets in orange and white (they matched my fabric so perfectly, it was unbelievable!),  small magnetic boxes, matching orange and white magazine holders, and a couple paper boxes in the same shade of orange.  Overall I spent just around $50, which I was more than ok with.

Home I went, happy as could be with my organization goodies.  First thing I did was iron the fabric to make sure there were no wrinkles.

Next up, it I plugged in the trusty old glue gun, and let it heat up.

Then, I measured my fabric and cut a piece big enough to cover the magnetic board.  Then I spread out the fabric, put the magnetic board on top and glued around the edges.  Once I got to the corners, I trimmed the sides and wrapped like a present, gluing as I went.
Wrap the corner like a present
 I had decided to prop the board against the wall, rather than hang it, but I took the time to trim off the fabric where the nail holes were incase I decide to hang it on a wall in the future.
If you plan to hang your board, steer clear of the nail holes
Here it is all wrapped and finished.
And the front view, propped against the wall.
Sorry for ALL the crooked pictures...it's my lack of picture taking abilities, the room is straight!
And now with the matching magnets...I love it!
See the subtle hints of orange in the fabric?
Here is my finished board, covered in the essentials.
Again with the crooked picture taking...ahhh
I added a magnetic box on each side, one to hold things like a ruler, scissors, tape and the other to hold extra magnets.
Because my board is propped against the wall, the boxes are resting on the table, but they have hefty magnets and would stick to the board if it was hanging on a wall.
Then I have a couple pictures, coupons, and a weekly meal planner.
And of course a monthly pad of paper to jot down quick notes and make lists.  Pretty soon I need to go find my February list...yikes!
On each side of the board I added my magazine holders.  I love that the orange and white help tie everything together.  One side holds cooking magazines, like the Food Network and Everyday with Rachel Ray goodies.
The other side holds decorating and household magazines, like Veranda, and Good Housekeeping.
Then I put together and added the cute paper boxes on top of the wooden filing cabinet (sister #2 painted that herself!).  One box holds craft supplies, the other holds school papers.  I still need to label them, but I like the nice and organized way to hide some of my mess.
Here's an overview of what my small area of the desk looks like.  Much better huh?
And we can't forget the Easy Embroidery Project I made here.  And the Even easier Yarn Wreath I made here.
Now I just need to get started on some more crafts and school work...yippee!

Featured at:


**Please click on my Linky Party tab at the top of my blog, or click here, to see some of the parties I participate in. Also check out all the other fabulous projects going on!  Thanks for hosting Girls!**

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search