astore

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The best part of waking up...

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at http://www.simplylivingjen.com for new updates ***

is Folgers in your cup!  So yesterday when I said my project involved a lot of these:
BUNN BCF250 Commercial Coffee Filters

I wasn't kidding.  275 to be exact.  While perusing the interwebs the other day I found multiple people, for example here and here,  creating these coffee filter wreaths.  I knew immediately that this was something I needed to try.  95% of my inspiration comes from other people's projects that look so fantastic I just have to give it a whirl myself.

All the supplies you need are a styrofoam wreath (can be found at the dollar store, but I got mine on sale at Michaels), a hot glue gun and multiple glue sticks, and coffee filters.
The makings for a snazzy looking wreath
I chose to go with white filters, but  I also love the look of the natural brown filters, maybe that will be my second wreath!

Step 1:  Fold the coffee filter.  First I folded it in half
Folded in half
Then I folded it in half again, so the filter is now in quarters.
Folded into quarters
I found it really helpful to pre-fold the filters, that way you don't have to stop and fold each filter before gluing it to your wreath.  I started with 50 filters, little did I know I would need 225 more!
50 pre-folded filters to get me started
Step 2:  Lay your foam wreath flat on the table.  Because you will, most likely, be hanging your finished product on a wall, you want the back to be flat.  By laying the form flat on a table you will avoid adding filters too far around the back.

Step 3:  Start gluing filters onto the wreath, starting at the bottom.  I found it easiest to make a full ring first, and work my way up.
I overlapped the filters just a little bit, so there was no visible gap
The first layer completed
 Step 4:  Once you have completed a full circle, start a second layer.  I started gluing my second layer in between the first one as to avoid any major gaps.

Second layer
Step 5:  Continue making layers, each layer should be placed a little higher on the wreath, so that the filters are not too crowded and continue to grow.  Here I am after about 150 filters:
150 filters later...
And again, after about 225 filters:

Step 6:  Continue this process until you can no longer see any of the green foam underneath.

Step 7:  This step is optional.  Once you have sufficiently covered your entire wreath form take scissors and trim any of the filters you feel are uneven until you get the look you like.

Step 8:  If you decide you want to hang the wreath on a wall, you can either just find a hook and hang it like a regular wreath for a more floating look, or you can attach a ribbon like I did.  I cut a decorative ribbon to the size I liked, and just attached it onto the back of my wreath with thumb tacks.  You can't even tell from the front so don't worry about being too neat.  Nails, staples, or even the glue gun would work just fine.  I chose thumbtacks because they were easily accessible and give me the option of changing the ribbon if I decide.

Here is what my final wreath looked like!

I think that it came out looking great!  I can see adding little details to it for different holidays, for example Christmas ornaments, flowers, ribbons, etc.

Another idea that I might try next time was Lynda's approach.  I love the extra detail of a little color on the edges!

Overall this was a time consuming, but super cheap and easy project.  I think it looks great and will probably make a few more!  Hopefully this time I will escape with fewer glue burns on my fingertips...

**Please click on my Linky Party tab at the top of my blog to see some of the parties I participate in. Also check out all the other fabulous projects going on!**
New Years Resolution:  Less stress, less clutter, less complication.  Today's progress: Less stress...check!  Weekends are easy for that.  Less clutter...check!  Project organize  is underway, photo documentation later! 
All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search