These days, the last thing I want to do is spend a ton of money on new furniture, particularly when they are things that I don't necessarily need. But, some of the cheap furniture out there looks just that, cheap. Which isn't the look I'm going for either. So I've been trying to find ways to get the cheap furniture, and make it look more appealing. Check out the $8 Ikea table I spruced up here!
With all these recent snow days, thank you New England, I wanted a project to work on while being stuck at home. I took a quick trip to Ocean State Job Lot (for anyone not from around here, they have great prices, but not always the worlds best quality) and found a pretty sturdy looking 2 shelf bookcase, singing to the tune of $10, I was sold. Next stop was good old home depot where I picked up a paint sample of Martha Stewart Living in Anvil. Less than $3 for the sample...and that was all the paint I would need!
Check out my process of turning this:
First thing I did was to assemble the bookcase, then I took out my sanding block and some medium (100 grit) sand paper.
|Sand paper, and a sanding block, which I like better than just using sandpaper folded up in my hand|
|One side, sanded down|
|Ready for priming!|
|I have a little key for popping off the top of paint cans, but a flat screw driver would work fine too|
Next it was time for paint. As I said, I chose the Martha Stewart Living in Anvil. This is a really nice rich grey, originally I thought that I was going to go with Graphite, but after looking at the paint chips Anvil stole my heart.
Each paint tester comes with 8oz. of paint, which I knew would be just enough for my small bookcase. The guys at Home Depot mix it right up for you, and for less than $3 it's perfect for a small project or testing paint on your walls at home before taking the plunge.
I followed the same steps as I did for priming my shelves, except this paint took 3 hours to dry! So 2 coats on each side later...it took most of the day!
After the final coat was on I let things dry overnight just to be on the safe side. Then I removed the painters tape covering the screw holes, and was happy to see them safe and unblocked.
Now I had to decide on what pattern to paint onto my shelves. I had seen the fabulous painted wallpaper Emily did over at Jones Design Company and was sold. I printed her template, but adjusted the size by quite a bit, since my tiny bookshelf was much smaller than her expansive wall space.
|Cut out template, and chalk for tracing|
here. This is what I was saving them for!)
|You can hardly see the circle sticker!|
here, I don't have the worlds steadiest painting hand, but overall I think my $10 bookcase looks much improved! I'd say it was $13 well spent. Maybe I need to go back for a matching one...