My adventures, and misadventures, as I stumble around finding my place in the world.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Quatrefoil Stencil

If you remember from my post a few days ago (check it out here) I told you all about how Valspar was giving out free paint samples.  Well, when my paint came in the mail, I couldn't wait to get started!  It comes with 7.2 oz of your choice of paint, two mini rollers, 2 mini trays, the paint chip and corresponding color chips, as well as a coupon for $5 off a gallon of Valspar paint.  Talk about a deal!  If you haven't requested your free sample yet...make sure you head over to Facebook and sign up!

Here's what I got in the mail:
The computer changes the colors a little bit, but I chose Green Sea, it is the darkest color on the chip inside the box.  What to do with the pretty color?

Well, after finishing painting a 2 shelf bookcase a couple weeks ago (all with one 7 oz. paint sample) I decided to give it another try.  When I went back to the store, unfortunately they were out of the 2 shelf bookcases.  Shucks!  Oh well, I decided to upgrade to 4 shelves! I grabbed two matching bookcases, and was ready to go!

This time, since I had a bigger surface to work with, I decided to give a stencil a try.  After perusing around blog land for a while, I found a cute quatrefoil printout over at Tatertots and Jello.  How thoughtful of her to offer a free printout!  I'll be revealing my completed bookcase tomorrow, but in the meantime, check out how I made my stencil!

All I used was the print out, a blank transparency sheet, some tape, and scissors.
First thing I did was cut the excess off of the edges of the printout:
I then flipped the printout over and taped it onto the transparency sheet:
Flipped over here is what it looks like:
Then I began cutting out the black areas, starting at the edge:
In order to get the middle black areas, I made a small cut through the edge:
This can easily be patched up with a small piece of scotch tape.  After everything was cut out, I removed the small pieces of paper that were left, taped up all the edges that I needed to cut, and voila!  Home made stencil!
Can't wait to show you all the bookcase tomorrow, be sure to come back and check it out!

16 comments:

  1. That looks really neat, can't wait to see more! I am a new follower from Friendly Friday, so glad to have found your blog. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Eloise
    Mommy2TwoGirls
    http://mommy2twogirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo- pretty!
    Following from the hop- visit me anytime! www.random-utterances.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see how it turns out! that's so cool! I stopped by from the hop, I'm glad I did! come and see me if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you on the Design it Chic blog hop! Great Tutorials! Following you now

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a new follower. I love your blog, great ideas! Please feel free to follow me back! Happy Friday!
    kahluaii84 at gmail dot com
    http://wellnesswithdiabetes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So,So cute!!! I'm blog hopping and found your blog. I'm following. Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower from Friendly Friday.

    www.wyrdings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see how it turns out. :) Following from the hop; please pop by for a follow. http://thislilpiglet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see the end result!

    P.S.
    I'm a new follower from the blog hop. If you get a chance stop by my page please and follow if you wish :-)

    http://alwaysaroundboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for helping my blog grow! I am taking the time to visit each of you, and will be following many of you back. Thank you again for your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm a new follower from Friendly Friday, I hope you can hop on over to Frugal Experiments and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad we could feature you on Friendly Friday this week! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the color! I think it will turn out great, you will have to share the outcome with us :)
    Stopped over from the Boost my Blog hop and glad I did. Have a great Saturday!
    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very cool!! You're so creative and I bet the bookcase is going to turn out great - I'll have to check back to see the finished product!

    Thanks for being a part of Friendly Friday this week! We're excited we got to feature your blog. I'm following you through GFC now. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate all of your feedback!

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search