astore

Sunday, March 27, 2011

What I've been working on

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at http://www.simplylivingjen.com for new updates ***

For anyone who hasn't seen shots of my ugly bathroom with it's hideous wall paper, here are a couple gems, mess and all:
Clearly my small attempts at decorating were futile since everything is just so outdated.  I'm hanging out Friday night, and the areas with peeling wall paper start getting to me...
So what do I decide to do?  Give the wall paper a tug and see what happens!
I was surprised to find out how easily it was coming off!  So I grabbed a couple tools and got to work.  Huge chunks of the paper were just peeling right off...awesome, right?
I was able to get most of the wall paper off pretty easily, just scrape, peel, ta da!  Minus a few tricky areas behind the toilet, tub, and radiator.  However...look at the nasty layer of adhesive it left behind!

However, with a bucket of hot hot water, a sponge, and a smaller scraper, I was again pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to remove the adhesive.  Time consuming...you betcha, blisters on my fingers...oh yes, achy back...check.  But look how it progressed:
Pink paint underneath...gross.  I took a break for the night, and came back refreshed the next day.  This involved more removing of adhesive...wet area, scrap, pull, repeat.  And then I went back with warm soapy water and scrubbed the walls with the rough side of my sponge.  Here's how things are looking!
 I can't believe the progress already!  There are some spots where the paint peeled off the wall...so there will be lots of sanding to come:
The woodwork will all need to be sanded and smoothed down as well before being painted.  And there are some major cracks and holes that need repair work:
Clearly this isn't some simple small project, I've got hours of hard work and elbow grease ahead of me, but I'm excited about it.  I can't believe I've already made this much progress in 2 days!  Stay tuned to see how my bathroom progresses!

Hope the rest of you had a wonderful weekend!

Simply Living


All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search