astore

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Patching Walls

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at http://www.simplylivingjen.com for new updates ***

Hi Everyone! Sorry I've been a little MIA this week, it's been crazy town around here!  Between work, extra work hours, grad work, working on the bathroom, and life in general, B and I added looking at apartments to the mix.  But we think we found "the place" yesterday afternoon!  We're crunching numbers again this today and if all goes well will hopefully be making a deposit in the next few days!  Soooo exciting, but the idea of packing already stresses me out!

The bathroom is starting to look so good!  I can't wait to share more of it with you guys this weekend.  The next step in the process was patching up the walls, so this post will show you what we did!

First off, if you look back at the previous posts, there were all kinds of patches on the wall where paint was already chipping off.  So the first order of business was to go through the whole wall, with a little putty knife, and chip away at the paint.  I wasn't concerned about getting off all the paint, I just didn't want to paint over loose paint and have it start peeling off right away!  So here are a couple shots of B, hard at work, with the tedious task of chipping away paint in the awkward, hard to reach, areas.  What a trooper!
Next on the list was sanding down the walls.  We paid close attention to the seams where no paint met paint, because we wanted it to be as even as possible.  This way, hopefully, once everything is repainted it will look nice and even.  We also did a light sand over the whole wall to make sure new paint would stick alright.  Fortunately my dad had this handy dandy doo-dad which essentially looked like a swiffer.  It had a rotating pad at the top, covered with sand paper, and a broom handle which made sanding the walls a cinch!  I think it will really help when it comes time to do the ceiling and floor as well.  It made our arms feel a lot better than a hand sander would have!  Here's another snap shot of B hard at work:
Here's a quick look at what the walls look like with the paint all chipped in all the loose areas, and everything sanded down:
The next step was to give everything a nice clean with soap and water.  It was important to get rid of all the extra dust and dirt, otherwise our spackle wouldn't adhere correctly.

Here is a reminder of what some of the major cracks that needed repair looked like:
 We grabbed our putty knives, and tub of spackle and got to work.  We ended up using the MH Ready Patch I had used to repair the window sill:
We squished it into all the cracks, and I also did a coat around the areas that were bare wall.  I know that we sanded down the paint to try and make the seam even, but I thought this would help ensure that everything looked smooth once it was painted over.  Here is what things started to look like patched:

The cracks above the window:
 And the one above the sink:
 Looking better already!  Aside from the cracks we also filled in any nail holes that were kicking around.  As well as the holes that remained from the towel bar I removed.

We let everything dry (follow the instructions on the spackle) sanded it all down, and then added a second coat to some of the larger cracks.  Everything dried, and was sanded again...and is now ready to be primed.  Goooood bye pink walls!

I'm hoping to have a post up later this weekend with the progress of how things looked with a couple coats of primer.  Can't wait to show you all more!  Hope you all get to enjoy some of the nice weather we're (finally) having!  Happy weekend!!



Simply Living


All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search