Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Old jars!

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at for new updates ***

If you're like me, then you have a bunch of glass candles left over, with less than a quarter inch of wax left.  You don't want to throw them out...but what do you do with them?  I finally came up with the best way to clean them of the leftover wax, without making a huge mess.  Time to show you how!

First, I gathered up all of the old candles that I had, there were a bunch...
 I laid them all out on the stove top, filled the kettle with water, and started boiling.  Once I had boiling water, I poured it into each of my candles.  Immediately you could see the wax starting to bubble and melt...
 As the wax melted, it would bubble and rise to the top of the water.  So...I walked away.  Actually, let's be honest.  The football game was on, so I took a 2 hour nap, then came back to check on the progress...
By then, the water had cooled, the wax was still warm and pliant, but definitely solid.  So, I got out a plastic knife, and cut my way through the wax, removing it from the top layer.
 I dumped the wax in the trash (I'm sure that you could remelt it into new candles!) and poured the non-waxy water down the drain.  This did it for 95% of my candles.  The other 5% needed one more soaking with boiling water to get the rest of the wax removed.  Here's what I ended up with:
 I then washed them with warm soapy water, and a sponge I didn't need to keep.  Removed the label... and ta-da!
Practically brand new mini glass vases.  What will I do with them?

A couple of hard as it is, wait for the wax to solidify!  Even if the wax has already rose to the top of the water, if you try to pour it out while it is still liquid, it just re-coats itself on the glass walls.  Take the extra hour to go do something else, when you come back it will be ready!

Also, DO NOT pour the wax down your sink drain!  If the water still has wax in it, just dump it in the trash!  The last thing you want is to be spending all your time scraping wax out of your sink...

I haven't decided yet what to do with mine, but I'm sure you'll see a new project down the line...

Save all your old candles!

All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search