astore

Monday, October 15, 2012

The Smells of Fall

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at http://www.simplylivingjen.com for new updates ***

Fall is one of my favorite times of year!  During our Fellowship Hour at Church one of these past Sundays, we had an Apple Theme.  So to get in the spirit, I decided to contribute some hot apple cider.  I soaked the apple cider with some orange slices the night before.
By the morning it already had a nice citrus-y flavor.  I then made a little "spice packet" with some cheese cloth and kitchen string.  I added cinnamon sticks and cloves to the packet.
Once I got to church, I added the cider and oranges with the "spice packet" to the crock pot and just cooked on high for 2 hours.  I made sure to remove the spices before serving, so that no one got an unpleasant surprise in their cup!  It was delicious, and you could equally taste the oranges and spice, they made the perfect balance!  The cider was a huge hit, and there were no left overs to bring home!

Since I was already in the Fall Spice mood, I decided to make a stove top Potpourri.  I added all the ingredients, and just simmered on the stove top for the day to make the house smell absolutely delicious!  Our apartment is fairly small, but I was surprised at how aromatic it really was, and stayed even after the heat was turned off!

For my Potpourri I just used what I already had around the house:
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of sugar
1 mini can of pineapple juice
1 cup of orange juice (squeeze from the leftover oranges from my apple cider)
1 lemon sliced (I used half a lemon, and used the other half to stuff a chicken that night!)
4 cinnamon sticks (left over from apple cider)
1 TBS. cloves (left over from apple cider)

The smell was a wonderful warm spice.  I went for a walk in the cold, just so I could come home and enjoy the lovely scent that it was giving off.  I would highly recommend this, if the liquid gets low, just add more water or OJ.  Simple as that!
On the days that I don't feel like coming home and using the electric stove...I have an Apple Cider candle going from Yankee Candle.  Sure smells like fall...



All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search