astore

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Easy to make Sensory Foam!

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at http://www.simplylivingjen.com for new updates ***
As I continue to explore sensory ideas for the kids, I came across a fluffy looking foam.  Now my Pre-kindergartners are happy as a clam with a "car wash" or baby bath activity.  So I knew that they would love this foam.  It's even safe and great for younger toddler age friends.
SO here is all I needed...a hand mixer, dish soap, and liquid water colors.  I'm sure that food coloring would work just as well, but if you haven't seen Liquid Watercolors before, check them out!  I love discount school supplies brand, but I'm sure there are others out there.
Hand mixer, dish soap, and water colors...so simple!
The fluffier you want your foam, the less water you add.  I added just a little soap to the bottom of the bowl, and added about 3 cups of water and a few drops of water color, and put the mixer on high.
Lot's of bubbles!
 Before long the foam starts to thicken up.  This is also a step that you could have the older kids help you with.  Turn it into a science and math project!  Make the measurements, and then predict what will happen to the liquid once you start mixing it together.
Getting fluffier!
I did a variety of colors, and dumped them into our larger sensory bucket.  The kids loved the rainbow effect!
Add in different tools and materials for the children to explore a variety of ways

This was ocean week, so I added some sharks and whales, and second bucket with plain water for rinsing.  We used cups, spoons, watering cans, measuring cups, funnels, and all kinds of other exploratory tools.  The kids had a blast!  It can get messy, but that's ok!  And the best part is, this was totally free!  I had all of the necessary ingredients right in my kitchen.  
Look how foamy and fluffy this looks.  The kids couldn't wait to get their hands on it!

If you decide to experiment with some sensory fun, let me know what your kids think!


Peakle Pie
Linked to I heart Naptime and creative jewish mom
All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search