astore

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sun Brewed Tea

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at http://www.simplylivingjen.com for new updates ***
The herbs have been exploding this year, which is a great problem to have.  There is nothing like fresh herbs from the garden.  I was debating what to do with some fresh spearmint, and decided that I would give sun brewed tea a try for the first time.
My mom has a glass container specifically meant for brewing tea, but you could use any glass container with a good cover.  I'm sure you can mix and match what you add, but this is what I used.
Fresh mint from the garden:
Mint flourishing in the garden
Just under 4 quarts of water, a quarter cup of honey, a splash of lemon juice and 6 black tea bags.  My preference would have been to use a freshly squeezed lemon with some of the lemon peel, but I didn't plan ahead and just used what I had on hand.  
Ready to brew, just water, honey, lemon juice, mint and 6 tea bags!
I stirred it all together to make sure that the honey was dissolved, and put it out in the sun.  As easy as that!
Placed in a nice sunny spot
It was just about 11:30 so the sun was at it's peak, and was already in the mid-80's.  So definitely a nice hot day.  After only a half hour in the sun you could already see streaks of the tea soaking through.
Already brewing after just 30 minutes!
I gave it a little stir once an hour, and let it sit in the sun for close to 4 hours.  You could probably do less, especially since it was such a hot day, but this worked out well.
4 hours later, it looks delicious!
I added some ice and poured myself a glass.  It was a sweet minty flavor, but overall is a very mild tea.  It's lovely and delicious.  I think it would be even better with a  fresh lemon wheel floating inside.  I would recommend giving it a try!
Refreshing
Hope you all are enjoying your summer so far!



All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search