astore

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Plastic Drawer Mini-facelift

***Simply Living has moved!  Come check us out at http://www.simplylivingjen.com for new updates ***

Like many of you (I'm sure) I had a set of these cheap plastic storage bins:
Clearly it has become a place for junk...I can't believe I even just shared that picture with you guys.  Ick.

Anyways, I do love how great it is for storing away nick-nacks and other miscellaneous stuff.  But, the clear plastic drawers left too much for the wandering eye to see, and were less than appealing.  I decided to see what I could do to spruce it up a bit.

I grabbed my supplies - scrapbook paper, ruler, pencil, and x-acto knife:
Rather than having everything match, I decided to use a different, but corresponding, pattern of paper for each of the 4 drawers.

First thing I did was measure the inside of the drawer, and cut a piece of paper:
I then cut a slit in the paper, with my x-acto knife, where the handle is:
Next I grabbed my bottle of Mod Podge and a sponge brush:
I then coated the inside of the drawer, from the handle down, with Mod Podge, and laid on my paper.  I did my best to smooth out as many of the air bubbles as possible, but some remained.  It's ok, not going for perfection here!
 I then lifted up the flap above the handle, spread on some more Mod Podge, and then smoothed out the paper:
 I then coated the entire sheet of paper with generous layer of Mod Podge.  Let it dry, and repeat.  I did 2-3 coats of Mod Podge on the back of the paper:
As you can see, bubbles and wrinkles happen.  It's not the end of the world, and you will probably drive yourself crazy if you try to get rid of them all.

Here are a couple pictures of how it turned out:
 I still think it looks like cheap plastic drawers...but it's an improvement from the clear see-through!  Now I can hide all that junk, and no one will know any different! hehehehe...

Happy weekend everyone!  Be sure to stop by and check out my mini-freebie thank you giveaway!

I was featured at:
Photobucket


Simply Living


All content, including text and original photos, are copyrighted and property of Jen Caffelle

POWr Social Media Icons

Simply Living Search Tool

Custom Search